I check my list: sheets, blanket, pillow,
towel, washcloth, ukulele, music. It looks like I I have everything I need. I
load it into my wagon and wait for Carolyn to pick me up. She arrives and we
load all of my gear into the back of her van including my wagon. Everything she
needs is already packed. I hop into the front seat and off we go. Oh, not to
just any event, oh no, we are headed off to ukulele camp or to be more
specific, Midwest Ukulele and Harmonica Camp. I missed camp last year so I am
eager to go this year.
It is a short
drive to Toledo University. I love that the camp moves around to different
locations. We get out out map to find our way to our dorm where we will not
only sleep, but where all our classes will be held. We are not the only ones
arriving, although It looks as if I am the only one pulling my wagon. “Smart
idea,” someone calls out. I smile. Between my wagon and Carolyn’s cart (we are
very prepared for camp!) we head up to the registration table. Just like
college, I think, as we are issued our meal ticket and our keys to our suite.
There is an elevator, thank goodness, with all of our stuff. I tried to think
back to my dorm days so many years ago, I don’t think we had an elevator. I
guess we just hauled all of our stuff up the staircase. I am grateful for the
elevator and the door closes. We find our room and our other two roomies come
in as well. They love our means of unloading and borrow our cart and wagon!
We make our
beds and put things away on the shelves. Going to ukulele camp with a great
friend is about as good as it gets! We check our schedule over and over and
mark the classes we want to take. Jazz, blues, finger-picking, strumming,
song-writing…how can we choose? With classes circle, and our ukes strapped on
our backs, we head down to the classes.
The workshop
instructors are brilliant uke players. As we walk through the halls to our
workshop rooms, the sound of ukes tuning up fills the hallway. I mean, have you
ever heard 200 ukulele players tuning up? Carolyn and I had planned to take all
different workshops so we could share the information, but we start out
together. We settle into our chairs and join the others as we tune up our ukes.
I am so ready
for these classes. What amazes me most
of all abou these professional teachers is how beautiful and effortlessly they
play their ukes. They make them sing in ways that I cannot. I want to play like
them, I really do, but I know the amount of work that goes into this. Maybe it
would take me a full year to learn a song or two. No different from
storytelling, although I have been doing that for so many years.
The instructors
talk about so many concepts. I listen and try my hardest to understand the
Circle of Five, or other terms. Carolyn knows it all already, and whispers to
me, “I will explain it to you later.” How lucky am I to have such a good
friend?
We take
classes, we eat in the cafeteria. We both think about our granddaughters
heading off to college this fall. We take photos of us sitting on our beds and
send them to girls!
The evenings
are the best. We all gather in the community room as our teachers perform for
us. They are extraordinary. The music community is close and they invite other
members to play with them. We sit on the edge of our seats and watch the
beautiful sky out the giant windows turn from dusk to dark with cotton candy
clouds. We clap, we laugh, we sing, we applaud. We are an appreciative
audience. Following the concert, we all just hang around with our ukes strapped
across our backs as we begin our night jam session. Now it is our turn to play
with them until midnight. When it is
over at the midnight hour, we head back to our rooms and chat with our suite
mates. No one wants to go to bed as there is so much to talk about.
Camp isn’t just
for kids. Go ahead, pack your bags, and
go to camp!
No comments:
Post a Comment