The garden
swelters under the heat. For that matter, so do I, but then again, you all know
I love the cooler weather. I am grateful for air conditioning even though I
really, dislike using it. It seems as if
our windows and doors are shut most of the year, and I love billowing curtains.
The time will come for billowing curtains when Autumn comes calling.
I do not
remember air conditioning anywhere when I was a kid. I know my grandparents
didn’t have it, and neither did we. Of course, there were those long, hot
nights with sweaty sheets and just a box fan. It was summer so, well, that was
the way it was. But, there were porches.
My grandmother
had a front porch complete with a porch swing. She had a porch light that she
often blinked if I was staying with her and my date stayed too long. She never
actually came out to the porch, but just kept blinking the porch light! During
the day that same porch was where we cleaned beans for dinner, darned socks or
chatted with neighbors walking by.
My farm had a
great porch too. That porch had a swing and, in those days, without stop lights
or businesses, all that the eye could see were Doc’s fields and apple orchards
filling the gaps into town. In the summer it also held three butterfly nets for
the boys and an old pan to fill with water to wash their feet before they came
in for the night. I don’t remember anyone wearing shoes during the summer! It
was quiet too. In the winter the porch was a mainstay. We filled it with firewood,
work boots, and a snow shovel, of course! My front porch was also where we read
books, told stories, and cleaned beans for dinner.
Later on in my
life, when I bought my house in town, I knew I wanted a porch. I found the
perfect house for that. Once I moved in, I realized all the windows were nailed
shut and the ropes had been cut. My first order of business was to get those
windows open. Lee made screens for each one and we had to number them as each
window was actually a different size. Lee replaced all the old-fashioned ropes. Once
the weather warms in April and before the heavy frost in October, my porch is
my go-to every day. There is no air-conditioning, but I have a great ceiling
fan and those lovely windows. My porch faces east so I get the morning sun, and
the heat of the day stays in my backyard. I don’t have a porch swing, but
lovely wicker furniture and stacks of books. I love my porch as I also have it surrounded
by bushes so that I can watch the world go by, yet I am a bit hidden.
How and when
did we lose these glorious additions to our homes? There really are two major
factors contributing to the demise of the front porch. You guessed it. Air-conditioning
and the invention of television. Once folks were comfortable inside, why go out
to the porch? It was cooler and more entertaining inside. Ah, but was it
really? Now my family wasn’t musical, so I didn’t learn the banjo or hear my
grandpa play the harmonica on my porch, yet I love them. My dad lived with his
grandparents for several year during the Depression. His room was up in the
attic with a bed of straw-filled ticking. He often told stories about going to
bed early and listening to the old men talk on the porch as they sharpened
their knives on the whetstone every night. What a lovely memory to have.
In my neighborhood,
there are porches. Probably because most of the houses are close to a hundred years
old, such as mine. Sometimes Lee does play the banjo on the porch. My neighbors,
Larry and Cheri, spend hours on their porch with their dog, Molly. People stop
by to chat every afternoon.
If you don’t
have a porch, maybe you have a stoop? It seems everyone has a back deck which
is not quite the same, but at least you are outside.
This week the
temps will cool so a perfect time to sit outdoors and watch the world go by during
the day and stars by night.
So come and sit a spell for stories, for music
and to help clean those beans!
No comments:
Post a Comment