Thursday, July 11, 2024

Coming home...

 

I took this photo a few years ago at the Balloon Festival.

A long day at the airports on July 3rd gave way to a late twilight flight out of Minneapolis. Even though it was delayed, and we were all anxious to make the trip, it was absolutely beautiful. We flew into the sun, so to speak, and it set behind us with the most beautiful sunset possible. By the time we crossed Lake Michigan, it was dark and because we were in a small plane, we could clearly see the ground. Pockets of fireworks exploded as we flew over small towns. It was a brilliant display of color and very joyous. I talked to the pilots afterward, and they both said it was one of their favorite flights! I had to agree.

With the Fourth of July now in the photo albums, we move into the heart of summer. For me, it is time to be back home and edge myself back into adult life. I miss the kids, and we had the best time, but now time to get back involved with my community and my Indiana family. Yes, as John Denver once saying, it’s good to be back home again.

This week of July brings back the heat, the brilliant sky and Angola’s finest Balloon Festival second only to Albuquerque or so I say! Let’s start with the heat of the day inside a July day in Indiana. James Whitcomb Riley, Indiana’s favorite poet was known as the “Hoosier Poet” and also the “Children’s Poet.” Riley left us with a thousand poems which he wrote and performed in his lifetime. One of my favorite summer poems is, “The Old Swimmin’ Hole.” I think the poem depicts an innocent time for children, and well, for adults too. I guess maybe we could say the good old days. Maybe.

July days bring on the heat which is a must for our gardens! Mine seems to be off to a slow start and maybe that is due from being gone two weeks and letting the weeds dance their way merrily among the flowers and vegetables. A few afternoons of work, and I should be all caught up! Those of you in cottages around the lake live for the month of July. I did too as a teenager. I loved coming up to Lake James learning to ski or go out on the boat to watch the fireworks. Since I am a townie, my fireworks were at the Commons. They were brilliant this year, as was the evening show in my garden with the fireflies. I was watching them last night and lamenting the fact that my Littles were not here to capture them and wonder at their beauty. (No, we did not keep them in jars over night although Noah did try to sneak one into the house!)

The summer night sky boasts a waxing crescent moon passing right through the bright star, Regulus, from the constellation, Leo the Lion. I love watching the moon glide above us and the crescent moons have the early night sky to themselves. Take the time to go outside after dark and prepare to just be amazed.

Now that I am back home, the calendar appears to be filling up with all sorts of events and activities. I love them all from Writer’s group to Ukulele Club. This weekend boasts an amazing event in our town, Angola Balloons Aloft. In a few days the skies will be full of hot air balloons traveling all over the county. I love following them in my Jeep! A few years ago, I had the awesome opportunity to fly in one of the crowd’s favorites, the Dragon. I even had a t-shirt made for me that said, “There is no place like home.” The morning was bright and clear as I climbed into the basket. It was thrilling and horrifying at the same time. I was supposed to take photos and some film footage for KPC, but mostly I just hung on the edge of the basket! This weekend will bring events to the high school along with the balloons. Don’t miss this!

Summer is here…strong and hot. Be on the lookout for huge zucchinis which somehow show up unannounced on our porches! Our gardens are growing, the kids are at camp or at the lake. We are blessed to live here.


No comments: