Sunday, August 11, 2024

LaGrange County Drama Camp!!

 


I have this recurring dream before a show. It can be any show…one I am in or directing. So, last week, the dream came to me again. In the dream the curtain opens, and the cast looks great, but no one knows any lines! In other words, there was no play! In the dream everyone looks at me wondering what to do, and I have no idea.

Luckily this is just a dream, and somehow there is a show. This past week I had the pleasure of directing a show for LCYC. This is my tenth year working with them on summer productions. This year we had a record number of 36 students coming to camp. My usual number is just 15 so it took a lot of extra planning to make this happen for the students. Our youngest was six and the oldest was seventeen. When we sat in our circle on the first day, I just could not believe my eyes to have all these kids in one circle and wondering, how in the world will we have a show???

The scripts are not handed out until the afternoon of the first day. Auditions happen the second day. I tried to make it clear that the auditions were for the “older actors,” but for some reason, everyone auditioned for the show. The auditions took two full hours with several of the younger actors needing help reading the script. We were patient. Everyone was patient. I think the best thing that happened during this process was how the students all respected each other, helped each other, and sat patiently for two hours clapping for each one.

Actually, I was proud of all of the students for auditioning. If you have never done this before, it is a scary thing to stand on a stage and read lines knowing the directors are watching and listening carefully. For children, this is scary also. Several of them told me their heart was racing, and one of young actors came off the stage sobbing because it was so hard, and he was so scared. I had to send him out with Asher, my high school helper. Eventually he came back and was fine.

When we knew we had so many kids, I was able to hire to other directors to help me out. Trine students, Allison and Muriel were so much help along with all the other helpers. Jennifer Martin makes sure everything is taken care of perfectly. She and others cooked for the students, and the helpers, every single day. By the time lunch rolled around every day, we were all really hungry!

Auditions are finally over, and I announce the cast. Muriel and Allison split up the other young actors and take them to work on their scripts for their show and many art projects!

By Tuesday we are ready to start rehearsing. We meet in our circle, I welcome everyone back (and everyone did come back!), and then we split into groups. The students all eat lunch together and then back to work. On Wednesday we have a costume meeting, and everyone takes notes and helps each other. No black shoes for one actor? No worry, someone has them! No jeans for another? I got that covered at Goodwill. I also search my personal costume department and fill Lola with costumes and props.

Friday is “No Script Friday.” Actually, most of my actors had the whole show memorized by Thursday. How do they do it?? Friday night is the show with 193 folks coming to watch. It was a great attendance, and they filled the entire area.

During all of this, I have my lovely granddaughters with me. Both of them are in the show. Our days are theatre, our evenings are theatre as we run lines, our conversation is the show.

They were all wonderful on Friday night with a standing ovation. Flowers. Autographs. Happy thespians. I did keep hearing, “Maggie, what’s our next show?” I am addicted to this theatre, so I have already started working on the next production.

I think, besides watching them work together, my favorite part was having family all come to support the girls. Adam flew up from St. Pete, Abe came from Charleston. Aaron and Rachel’s family came.

It is so critical that our schools, and our community provide and showcase our young people in all of the arts. We know the arts keeps kids in school so let’s keep it going!


No comments:

Edgar Allan Poe Night!!

  Edgar Allan Poe remains a mystery to all of us. There have been so many books and scholarly papers written about Poe, and yet, there are s...