Saturday, July 06, 2024

The Hurricane and other Sundry Items...

 



The dining room table is full of Go Fish and Old Maid cards. The playroom is full of toys and books litter all the end tables. The fireplace mantel hosts artwork of Kahlo, Monet and Van Gogh (all done by the seven-year-old twins!), and the refrigerator is full. Yes, it is my week to watch all four of Abe’s kids as he and Kristin take off for their yearly trip.

I gear up every summer when I know I have the Littles, then all of them, and then later in the summer, the older two girls fly to Indiana for Drama Camp. This week has been different as I usually watch the four of them in the purple house where Lola, my Jeep, takes us anywhere we want to go, and I have all my resources at my fingertips. Sometimes I watch them at their beach house which is so much fun. I can drive there as there is no traffic and a tiny grocery store on Oak Island plus a movie theatre. Here, in Charleston, it is very different, and it is hot. So, except for a few trips to the library or art camp or to the pool, we live in our self-serving cocoon…me and the four kids.

They are entertaining and fun, and with the different ages, there is always a different activity from movies of Pokémon to the grown-up movies after the twins go to bed. But for the most part, we are all together…all day long.

This time, Abe and Kristin went to Barbados. They chose a new place every summer to get away and relax for a week before coming back recharged and ready to take over again. We make my flight home on July 3rd because we all know I need to be in my town for the Fourth of July. Of course, this has meant I miss the Philharmonic in the park and the Americana event, but it can’t be helped. “As long as I home by the Fourth of July,” I say, “all will be well.” This will be the first party at Aaron and Rachel’s new farm, and I sure don’t want to miss that!

Alas. Alas. Things happen. Things always happen. This time it is an early, unexpected hurricane bearing down on Barbados as I write. I didn’t pay much attention at the beginning as it was just a tropical depression. These things pop up all the time, don’t they? It wasn’t until Friday that I realized it had the potential to become a hurricane and by Saturday, it turned into one. Abe was able to ring us for a few moments to tell us they would be staying as their hotel was strong, even though it was right on the beach and the shelling would be great the next day before they head out. I do not think they realized this would become a category 4 hurricane on a small island.

I don’t keep the news from the kids, as they need to know some of this. “How exciting,” I tell them, “To be in a hurricane! It is like a big party.” They look at time with inquisitive eyes about the party thing. I tell them about the hurricanes on Ocracoke Island and what it was like. The best part of those hurricanes was that the visitors were all asked to just drive away and leave the locals to face the weather and then the clean up afterwards. I know also about the tourism aspect of hurricanes. The quicker the storekeepers can get the clean-up done, the quicker these islands (or towns) can get back into business. On Ocracoke, there was always so much clean up, which was especially difficult when the power was out. We were hot and sticky and definitely grateful for the Red Cross to show up.

As far as Barbados, I don’t really know. What is their infrastructure like? How strong is the airport and the runways? Will they get home in time? Will I make it to the parade and parties on the Fourth? I must plan accordingly too. How will I make that day fun for the kids without really knowing what or where to go to celebrate?

I know we will be fine. I will find sparklers and we will take a blanket to the back yard and watch for local fireworks, if this happens.

In the meantime, Go Fish, movies, stories and lots of chocolate will get us through!


No comments:

Rolling Victory Weekend

Lou Ann with the Baggage Car Boys! “I hear the train a-comin’, it’s rolling ‘round the bend,” sang Johnny Cash in his “Folsom Prison Blues” ...