Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Dog Days of Summer

 


I guess I was wrong about the Dog Days of summer as they are here! The cool weather was nice while it lasted, and be assured, it will return. As for this week, if you have air-conditioning, you are in luck! I prefer not to use the air-conditioning, but this week is definitely an exception.

So, why do we call these days the Dog Days of summer? Let’s look into history for a few moments. In Ancient Greece and Rome, these hot days of August came bringing drought and bad luck for men and for dogs! This also coincides with the rising of Sirius, the Dog Star and the brightest star in the night sky. Some say it is so bright it can be seen in the daytime! In ancient days, the rising of Sirius during the late summer, combined with the heat causes these Dog Days. It is also interesting to note that Sirius is 25 times brighter than the sun and 8.6 lights years away from the Earth. For those of you who just have to know, in ancient Egypt, Sirius meant scorching or sparkling! Rise early in the morning, take your coffee out to the stoop and look for Sirius in the southeastern sky before daybreak. It will definitely be much cooler sitting outside at daybreak!

The end of August brings so much to mind. It seems as if the month just started and here, we are in the last few days. This past weekend was absolutely full of end of August events, and I tried not to miss any of them! Let’s chat about Friday night football. Yes, I said football. I get involved with sports when my ids or now grandkids are involved, of course! This is Graham’s sophomore year at Angola High School, and he was able to play for a few moments on Friday night. I think I truly have forgotten how fun it is to attend the high school football games! Friday night was perfect! The stands were full, the players looked great and kudos to the marching band for all their hard work. We lost the game to Dekalb (congrats to them), but it was still a wonderful evening sitting with family and friends and ringing the cowbell. Yes, I was the one with the cowbell.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I mean back at Commons, Tabitha and her park board team hosted another night of music in the park. On any other night I would have been there, but I know so many of you attended and what a great night for that. Meanwhile…music at the Furth and the Gala at the Heritage Club. If anyone ever wonders what we do in this little town, well, there is really no way to explain all of it. On Saturday Trine hosted the Trine Fest downtown, and it was full of community members and students. Everywhere I went I met up with my lovely students buying coffee at Caleo or special items at Elemento!

Meanwhile…my neighborhood hosted another potluck! We have one every month and they move around. I would love to talk to anyone about how to make this happen. Each month 40-50 neighbors gather to share each other’s cooking and stories. This month everyone was asked to bring something for the Blessing Box at the Episcopal Church. Since our potluck was across the street at Michael Eyster’s, Nate walked the children over to put the items in the box. I had to laugh as I watched him lead the way as a Pied Piper.

My weekend ended with a visit to Elten and Carolyn’s prairie. Once a year they give tours of their prairie, and it was Sunday. It was a perfect day to coast along in the golf cart listening to Carolyn’s stories about each plant. The weekend ended at 6 on James to celebrate the come-back music of Mike Dougherty. This was a very special event, and it was a packed house with friends and family coming to hear Mike play. He played beautifully to the delight of everyone, and the standing ovation was enough to prove it. Mike thanked everyone for coming and when I was leaving, he said to me, “The music community has been wonderful. They mow my grass, bring food, and cheer me on!”

I thought about that on the way home. Isn’t that our job? To cheer each other on?

My friends, the Dog Days are here. Stay cool, celebrate and be kind.


No comments:

Edgar Allan Poe Night!!

  Edgar Allan Poe remains a mystery to all of us. There have been so many books and scholarly papers written about Poe, and yet, there are s...