Thursday, November 10, 2016

A day of mourning...

Dear Friends,

Yesterday I set aside for my own day of mourning. I cried all day weeping for my country, my family, my friends, my community...

Most of my friends did the same.

It was a night that I stayed up late, watched in absolute disbelief, and then crawled under the covers with the same clothes on. Actually I wore them all day yesterday, last night and finally showered this morning. 

I will continue to wear black.

I am sure some of you voted for the other candidate. You are still my country, my friends, my family, my community...

I will continue to keep my strong Democratic values. I will continue to open my doors to any and all. I will not lock my doors. I will not own a gun. I will embrace my environmental issues and I will pray to God every night that the morning will come.

A day of mourning. 

Until a brighter day,

Lou Ann

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are now getting a taste of what us Republicans have felt for the last eight years.

Lou Ann Homan said...

Dear Anonymous,

First of all, thank you for writing. Sometimes it seems as if my words are flung into the night and falls on no one.

This election season has been a disaster for everyone...splitting families, communities, and yes, our nation.

There are so many things I want to say to you and all are kind.

I was born and raised a Republican and even married a Republican fellow which eventually ended in divorce (not just because of my views!). It took me a lot of year to think through who I am and what do I believe. I tell my college students to begin the process; it is okay not to agree with your parents, whatever that may be. Question. Question. Question.

Of course I am devastated, but not so much because of Republican versus Democrat. I lived through the Bush presidency with dislike, but not disrespect. I lived through his presidency without fear. Fear of the future, the environment, education, and, of course, my own views.

I believe in Democracy and the power should be shared. We toss it back and forth between us. That is what makes America work. It is not that you won and we lost. It is so much bigger than that. It is the man that was chosen. The man who is disrespectful to, well, everyone. I am ashamed to let grand children listen to him or think it is okay to bully and put down and make fun of. I don't know you, but since you read my blog, I assume we share some of the same core values.

I am not out burning flags of effigies, but I am talking grievously with friends and colleagues about how we can keep our values strong during this presidency. I also must keep respect for the president, that is written in the Constitution.

So, thank you for writing. Perhaps we can stand hand in hand someday and share our thoughts. I think they would be closer than either of us think.

The bottom line is we love our country, our community, our friends and family. We want them to be well, healthy, alive, and prosperous. Those values I am sure we have in common.

Thank you for writing. Thank you for making me think through this for a few days and try to think of a response for you.

Lou Ann

Thank you.

  The Trine University Theatre Company on closing night of The Matchmaker.