Thursday, June 19, 2014

Ocracoke Lighthouse

The Ocracoke Lighthouse.

Inside the Lighthouse.

The Keeper's quarters.

This week I started my volunteer position with the National Parks Service. I am now opening up the Ocracoke Lighthouse on Wednesday and Thursday afternoons from 1-3.

I love doing this for visitors and locals alike, and spending the afternoon in one of my favorite places. Come on out and hear a tale or two, take a grand photo, or just stand in awe in one of our nation's oldest lighthouses.

Ocracoke Lighthouse was built in 1823, and still stands true to time as a working, navigational lighthouse.

Sometimes when no one is there, I just sing and let the song echo off the brick walls. If you have a fiddle or mandolin or guitar, bring it along with you to play a tune or so. However, if you have a drum set, better leave it at home!

Until tomorrow.

2 comments:

Robb said...

Perhaps next year; I never seem to get in all the activities that I plan on doing... I would sing in there too; it must sound wonderful!

Lou Ann Homan said...

Robb, next year you must come and sing. It is spectacular. It seems you were not here long enough to catch your breath!

Mom's Last Full Moon...

  I came out of rehearsal last night, and the full Worm Moon of March actually took my breath away. It was so gorgeous rising above us in a ...