Wednesday, May 01, 2013

Happy May Day!


Happy May Day! Today is the cross-quarter day between spring and summer. It is also known as May Day Beltane in Ireland.

Traditionally it is the day May Poles are set up for dancing, children leave treats on the doorsteps of neighbors, and the embers from bonfires mingle with the stars.

It is a fascinating day of celebration that we often miss. There is still time...dance in the street, build a campfire, offer a gift to a new neighbor.

The masks were gifts from my friend Kathy. They adorn my dining room table on the first week of May.




The wind blows out the gates of day.
The wind blows over the lonely of heart
And the lonely of heart is withered away,
While fairies dance in a place apart,
Shaking their milk-white feet in a ring.
Tossing their milk-white arms in the air.

W.B. Yeats

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

tossing their milk white arms in the air to catch a softly floating orb yee ! is an old semi deflated helium filled balloon ... catch it before the fawn swallows it

Lou Ann Homan said...

I read your comment yesterday or the day before, and yes, I agree and understand. I do know there are now new balloons that are "environmentally" friendly. I don't know if they were. I was just sharing the joy of the occasion. I appreciate your concern, and I might have said the same thing on another blog! But please don't change Yeats!

Anonymous said...

environmentally friendly . my word, are the balloons edible? A choice of flavors. Perhaps those paper lanterns --- culturally sensitive folk glue or fold together to ignite and send aflame into the sky of night to delight the senses would be less of a threat . just have the volunteer fire department at the ready. but then is such care take at a fireworks display - or waiting to set up a small town fire works display. did not intent to change Yeats was inspired by Yeats something I learned in elementary school everyone needs an Inspiration Point. Love your photos keep up the good work.

Thank you.

  The Trine University Theatre Company on closing night of The Matchmaker.