Sunday, January 14, 2024

"I want to do it all over again."

 


With the threat of gusty winds in Charleston and the promise of snow in Indiana, I was able to catch a flight back between all the weather patterns. It was smooth sailing all the way home. It was another early morning flight and Abe got me to airport by 6:00 a.m. The drive was nice even dodging several deer enjoying a highway stroll in the early morning hours. I would probably be very rich if I had a dollar for every flight I have taken since Abe graduated from college. First it was Santa Barbara, Portland, Phoenix and now Charleston. The kids often say I should move close to them; however, I wonder will Charleston be their final nesting place? I think it is their last big move. The kids are happy and involved in school and with friends. Holly drives, has a job and a boyfriend. One of the first columns I ever wrote for KPC was Abe and Kristin waiting for their baby to be born. Now we are sixteen years later.

I think I played at least a hundred games of “go fish,” sang hundreds of songs and read hundreds of stories. The twins are still in the Paw Patrol mode so that took care of a few afternoons. Abe’s birthday, soccer on the beach, movies, New Year’s Eve, meeting the boyfriend, well, the list goes on.

The last night I was in Charleston, I kept the tears at bay. The twins were extremely sad I was leaving and wanted me to give a list of all the things we did. Of course, I went through each day sharing our events and stories. We had a great time, it was obvious. Faith was quiet for a moment and then she said, “But I want to do all of that over again!” That opened the flood gates for me. I cried, as I nodded to her. It wasn’t just the two weeks with the kids in Charleston. No, it was more than that.

“I want to do all of that over again!” I thought about that on the flights home, and the drive and when I got home. Faith is right. I want to do all of that over again. Everything. Each moment of my life. I think most of you would say yes to some parts of your life. I would like to be a young mom again on the farm. Did I know much about raising children then…especially little boys. Did I know anything about the farm? Absolutely not. But I knew about love, and that got me through.

I want to do all of that over again. I would love to spend a few days in college as a young student with long dark hair and short skirts thinking about English classes and weekend dates. I would love to have those early theatre moments when the stage called to me, and I followed the call not knowing what I was doing.

I want to do all of that over again. Weddings. Birthdays. Holidays. Births. I guess maybe even death. I was so honored to be with my dad when he died. Those moments are still so precious to me.

The Charleston Children have a great grandmother on Kristin’s side. Edna is 103 years old. I never met her, but we are Facebook friends which is quite fun. She always loves it when I visit them because I fill my pages with photos of the children. Edna has had a bout of illness in which the family gathered to send her off to cross the veil and into heaven. However, she recovered, and they all went home. Edna makes hats for preemie babies, and she needed to make two more hats for a set of twins yet to  born. Edna has outlived her parents and all her brothers and sisters of which there were 17 total. If I were to ask her about doing it all over again, I think she would have some memories and stories to tell that we have never experienced.

Arriving home, my house is quiet. Abe’s house is noisy and messy and so full of love. My Christmas tree still stands beautifully in the corner beckoning me to be calm, be happy, be glad to be home and get back to my life.

Yes, all is well, but I know in days to come my mind will wander back to little Faith, “I want to do all of that over again.”


No comments:

Farewell, Mom.

  Mom and Dad with the six kids!! I am the one with the long hair! I love a houseful of folks. I love looking down the hallway at night and ...