Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Ocracoke Treasures

A piece of artwork left from Libby Hicks. 

Digging around bushes and under this old house, I often find treasures that have long been lost or forgotten. I know this to be true of all old houses.

How many times are we digging in a garden and come across a small toy or truck or just a tiny time capsule from folks who came before us?

This artwork was left by Libby Hicks who once lived in this old house with her husband, Bill. Libby was a true artist in every sense of the word. She played musical instruments, sang and sculpted art from everyone else's leftovers.

She left a few of these small pieces of art in the yard of this house. I find them one at a time and use them in my own garden.

But here is an interesting story: I met Libby and Bill at a conference years before I ever came to Ocracoke or really even knew much about it. I was going through a rough patch in my life and Libby wanted to bring me home...kind of like bringing home a stray cat or kitten. She was insistent, but I knew I had to go through "the bad times" on my own even though I was and still am eternally grateful for her friendship at that time.

Little did any of us realize that in time I would meet Philip Howard, and I would end up living in this little cottage that had once belonged to his grandparents. Life certainly has a way of taking us in circles, doesn't it?

Treasures. 

Until tomorrow.


No comments:

Thank you.

  The Trine University Theatre Company on closing night of The Matchmaker.