Friday, May 30, 2014

The Peony Flower

Indiana's State Flower

This is the first bloom on my peony flower in my garden. I think it is one of my favorite blooms, and I know I wait and wait and wait patiently for this striking flower.

According to Wikipedia, "The peony is named after Paeon (also spelled Paean), a student of Asclepius, the Greek god of medicine and healing. Asclepius became jealous of his pupil; Zeus saved Paeon from the wrath of Asclepius by turning him into the peony flower"

It has been depicted in many art forms such as this painting by Pierre-Auguste Renoir..
Peonies - Pierre-Auguste Renoir
The General Assembly in Indiana chose it to be the state flower in 1957. This replaced the zinnia which had been the flower since 1931.

As for me, I just love it in my garden. It sits right outside my backdoor and permeates the entire garden with its scent. 

Just watch out when you pick a bouquet for your house as you will find a few ants crawling out of the petals!

Until tomorrow.

3 comments:

Robb said...

Ours are still little buds up her in "the hills"... But we're looking forward to them just the same :-)

Anonymous said...

Here in Cincinnati they are in full bloom. It is a scent that immediately triggers memories of my childhood. Thanks for helping me remember!

Lisa/OH

Lou Ann Homan said...

Yes, the memories of childhood. My grandmother always had peony bushes. I love the old fashioned gardens and enjoy mine so much!

Autumnal Equinox

  Pokagon State Park  Photo by Lou Ann Today is the Autumnal Equinox or simply known as the first day of Autumn. This is a splendid day as w...