Sunday, June 13, 2010

Pickin' and Preservin'




My neighbor opened up her strawberry patch to me yesterday. I think she already 'picked the patch clean' a few times and was tired of strawberries! I brought friends over and we all got to work. (My P.T. gave me the OK!) Within a short time we all had strawberries to take home for supper. I served mine with ice cream and drizzled chocolate syrup last night. I save plenty back for a beautiful batch of strawberry jam. The house smelled heavenly and when I was finished eight lovely ruby-jeweled jars were set to pop. As I cleaned up the kitchen I listened for each one to pop...one at a time. When my boys were little, they used to sit around the kitchen table just listening for the sound which meant jam or pickles or kraut or peaches all winter long!

1 comment:

Olga said...

Lovely! I am inspried to get out to pick some strawberries this week. I usually freeze them, but I just may give the jam a try this year.

Spring break in St. Pete...

  Adam and his pups! The late-night flight is full. Everyone is heading out for spring break. Students and teachers, moms and dads, kids and...